Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Global warming and the Bible

I've been asked about my theology of creation.  In my global warming articles I have quoted the scientific data as if it is undeniably true.  If I believe that the ice core sample data is valid, dating back hundreds of thousands of years, then that means I must be an old earth creationist.  Or maybe I'm not a creationist at all.

So let me clarify my position here:

  • God created the heavens and the earth.
  • I understand the young earth and old earth creationist arguments, and I think that it is a significantly less important issue than the core truth that He created it.  If you put a gun to my head and forced a decision, I would say that I think the earth is probably as old as archeologists think it is.  My God is big enough for that.
  • Scientists believe in the geological data.  They do not believe in what the Bible says about the beginnings of the earth.
  • If I am going to credibly discuss the problems with the theory of global warming with the scientists who believe in the theory, then I have to debate the data that they believe.
  • These scientists have cherry-picked their data and performed a number of other unscientific mistakes.  They are behaving more like a cult than truly open-minded scientists.  And they are making more money off of this alarmist hype then they ever could from clear-headed fair science.
  • I can see many holes in their data and logic, and if given a chance I think myself and other clear-headed folks could temper the alarms and move public opinion towards more fair policies.
  • I believe that humans are causing some global warming.
  • I believe that the planet has natural systems in place that both cause and counter-act both warming and cooling.
  • I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that man-made global warming will overcome and the earth's natural heating and cooling systems to cause unmitigated catastrophe.
  • The ice core data does indicate that we have an 8-degree cooling event coming soon--over a period of about 3,000 years the planet will cool 8-degrees and stay near that new normal for most of the next 100,000 years.
  • If you believe in a young earth you should also believe that God carefully placed the ice core data there and gave humans the reasoning facilities to read it; and so He is warning us about the natural patterns of warming and cooling that He built into this planet.
  • Because of the behavior of the cult of global warming, we are actually ignoring the real threat to modern civilization--that coming 8-degree cooling.
  • I could definitely be wrong about any of the above scientific opinions.  But the cult of global warming is squashing the open and honest discussions of the data, and so I can't get my skeptical questions answered.  The only choice they will give me is to turn off my brain and drink their cool-aid.  I cannot do that.
  • My whole purpose in talking about this topic is to try to return the discussion to open, civil, scientific discourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment