Monday, November 2, 2009

More Meyers-Briggs thoughts

Austin Job Seeker's Network had the second Design & Focus class this morning.  We talked about personality types and temperament for the whole class.  A few things really jumped out at me.

There were about 12 of us.  3 INTJs.  That is exceptional.  I don't know if I have ever been in a room with two other INTJs.  It's the rarest type.  And as I talked with them I could see some common attributes in each of them, but no common attributes in all three of us.  One guy was sort of prototypical INTJ in one direction and the other guy was prototypical INTJ in an entirely different direction.  It was strange to watch, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them more in the next two classes.

All but one of the people there were J's.  J's and P's are supposed to be split about 50/50 in the general population.  Durng one of the exercises we got into groups, and one person was left alone in the P group.  Everyone commented, almost at once, "gosh, what's wrong with J's that we can't find jobs?"  Then we all laughed.  I spoke to the coordinator on the way out the door and he said, "wow, that's strange, the same thing happened last time we held that class."  I'm not sure that it is that simple, but it certainly deserves more research--especially if I am writing a book on job seeking.
* J's are pessimistic, glass-half-empty, sorts of people.  Maybe they are laid off more often.
* Maybe something else in the J personality makes them want to 'Design & Focus' (or makes P's avoid Design & Focus.)
* Maybe something in the way that the class is presented just resonates with J's and repels P's.

I was reviewing the INTJ information on-line last night.  Christy joined me and reviewed the data with me.  We laughed our heads off at this site.  If you know me you might think that I wrote it about myself, but I didn't.  This item from the FAQ brought tears to my eyes (think 'Democracy 2.0').
Q: My INTJ is trying to take over the world. Should I be concerned?
A: Remember, he’s trying to take over the world for the betterment of everyone and everything. Just go ahead and let him. He’ll be happy and the world will be a more organized and efficient place.

No comments:

Post a Comment